Does Air purifiers can really filter out germs, dust, smoke, mold or its just an overrated product ?
You would have found many articles and testimonials in support and some against of it. We will know more about Air purifier and see how this is effectiving in giving you and your family clean air.
- What is an Air purifier?
- Should you be using Air purifier?
- Best Air purifier Brand wise and Room size
- Best Air purifier in India
- 1. Best Air purifier under 10,000
- 2. Best Air purifier under 15,000
- 3. Best Air purifier in 15,000+ range
Air purifier as name implies, cleans the air within a specific area through a specialised filtering process that targets microscopic particles that poses harm to our health, Humans in particular.
Allergens like smoke, mold spores, pollen, bacteria, viruses, pet dander, and other pollutants damage our lungs and immune system. Most of these irritants cannot be seen by the naked eye. Air purifiers filter out allergens and pollutants from the air that can and cannot be seen by the human eye. To remove these objects, air purifiers typically use filters, electrical attraction, or ozone.
A high quality air purifier can trap upto 99.7% of all pollutants that would otherwise enter our body through nasal passage and to lungs thereby causing respiratory illness. Air purifier are known medically for reducing allergy symptoms, reducing asthma, improving sleep, making it easier to breathe and creating an overall better standard of living.
Should you be using Air purifier?
The air inside our home is generally dirtier than the air outside.
Seriously !! How ??
It may sounds bizarre but it is so because a house can be a source of air contaminants of different types.
Moisture in your house can lead to the development of mold and mold spores. Forced-air heating and cooling systems circulate dust particles and bacteria throughout the house. Air purifiers remove up to 99 percent of airborne bacteria. If you are having Pets, they shed fur and give off dander.
If you or even your neighbor smokes, this pump toxins into the air. Pollen and other outdoor allergens can blow in through open doors and windows (or through a window or door screen) and get caught in carpet or upholstery.
Few contaminations are dependent on weather and it is generally seen during winter and rainy season, air quality inside home degrade than summer. Air purifiers combat seasonal allergens. Air purifiers help keep the allergens that make breathing uncomfortable out of your home.
In short, average house tends to concentrate contaminants in greater quantities than the outdoors. Does this means that it is unhealthy to live? Absolutely No. The concentration isn’t usually too harmful for a healthy person, but children and people with allergies and respiratory difficulties may experience adverse health effects.
Reducing the level of contaminants can help alleviate some of these problems and using an air purifier is one way to do it.
Additionally, Air purifiers remove unpleasant odors. Be it your Fish curry or any kitchen smell, Air purifier helps you get rid of that so that your kitchen recipe smell don’t travel to neighbourhood.
I am using Air conditioner in house. Do I still need to use Air purifier for clean air?
This is an obvious question and important is to understand that room air conditioner filters can only filter out particles of 10.0 microns or larger, so they are not as efficient as air purifier filters when it comes to having pure air.
Best Air purifier Brand wise and Room size
Best Air purifier in India
For the ease of shortlisting best product for your home we have categorised these air purifier under different price category and you can go for as per your budget. Each of these purifier are best in class and efficiently serves the purpose.
1. Best Air purifier under 10,000
1.1 Philips AC1215/20 Air purifier, with 4-stage filtration
- 4 Stage Filtration process through pre filter, activated carbon filter & double layered H13 Grade TRUE HEPA Filter
- 4-color air quality indicator gives real time air quality feedback ranging from blue (good allergen & particle level) to red (bad allergen & particle level).
- Removes 99.90% bacteria and viruses, tested to remove airborne H1N1 virus
- Purifies a standard room in just 12 minutes with a CADR of 270 m3/hour
Vita-shield Intelligent purification automatically senses air quality and products Effective Filtration Size (in microns) >= 0.02 and for 0.3+ microns is 99.97%, 800 times smaller than PM 2.5
Philips air purifier comes with Night sensing mode, It dimmed and/or switched off lights and generate low sound which help you and your family sleep better.
1.2 Mi Air Purifier 2C with True HEPA Filter
- True HEPA Filter with filtration efficiency of 99.97 percent for particle size up to 0.3 microns
- 360 Degree Air Intake with 2 Layer air filtration for efficient filtration
- Best in class CADR of 350 m3/h
- Real time air quality indicator
Mi air purifier comes with easy operation and maintenance. You can change filter by yourself under 10 sec with one button tough control.
The advanced dual filtration technology effectively traps most airborne pollutants. The primary filter takes on larger particles while the Tue HEPA filter captures 99.97% of microscopic allergens down to 0.3 microns in size.
Its tower design helps in evenly scattering air all around the corner of room and that woo effectively with 366 degree air intake and CADR of 350 m3/h
1.3 Honeywell HAC25M1201W 53-Watt Air Purifier
- Washable pre-filter
- Three stage advanced filtration system that removes pollutants with more than 99% efficiency.
- Completely ‘Ozone Free’ Air Purifier.
- 3D Air Flow Design ensures optimised circulation
- CADR of 250 cu.m/hr ensures the purifier can clean a room of size up to 30 Sq.m in just 10 minutes.
Honeywell air purifier comes with unique air circulation technology. Takes in air from the sides and bottom, releases pure air from the top at an angle appropriate to ensure optimum air circulation. Air vents on both sides and at the bottom of the purifier ensure enhanced suction of polluted air.
An award winning design, excellent User Experience summerize this Airpurifier in two words. No sharp edges, an anti-fall design with zero exposure to filters ensures that there is no risk to your children if they happen to touch the home air purifier.
High filter life of 3000 hrs for the composite filter and very low power consumption ensures you incur very low running cost of purifier. Aerodynamic fan design that ensures lowest sound level. Turns on automatically after power failure.
Product comes with 1 + 2 years extended warranty on product
1.4 Carrier Air One Room Air Purifier with 3 Stage Filtration
- 3 stage filtration process with Pre filter, HEPA H11 filter and activated Carbon filter
- Auto mode to adjust the speed of air flow depending on Air Quality
- CADR 260m3/h , Coverage area upto 300 Sq ft
- Allow adjusting the air flow speed as per your needs with 4 fan speed options
Pre-Filter wash out large dust particles like: Strands of hair, dust, animal skin while HEPA H11 Filter absorbs minute particles like PM 2.5, pollen, allergens etc., from the air. In total gives clean air to your family.
The purifier’s comes with smart PM2.5 display and colour indicator which keeps you up to date on the quality of indoor air. Product comes with 12 month warranty.
1.5 Mi Air Purifier 3 with True HEPA Filter and Smart App Connectivity
- True HEPA Filter with filtration efficiency of 99.97% for particle size up to 0.3 microns
- OLED touch Display that shows real time PM 2.5 concentration
- Temperature and humidity, Wi-Fi connection and Working mode)
- Smart app control, Rated Frequency: 50/60 Hz
- Works with Google assistant and Amazon Alexa
- 360 Degree Air intake with 3 Layer Filtration with High CADR of 380 m3/h
Mi Air Purifier 3 comes with an ultra clear OLED display with touch control and can also be controlled via app – quiet and energy efficient.
Note: This model is latest version of Mi Air Purifier 2C with energy efficient and high CADR value. It is having new OLED touch display and Class13 HEPA filter as added features.
This purifier can cover up to an area of 484 sq. ft. as per specification. For a room of 150 sq. ft. it can bring the PM 2.5 level from around 500 to 80 or 90 in a matter of 20 minutes.
2. Best Air purifier under 15,000
2.1 Honeywell Air Touch i8 42-Watt Air Purifier
- Real-time PM 2.5 meter to measure the real-time pollution level inside your room
- Versatile Coverage Area and efficiency with CADR of 300 cu m/hr.
- Three stage advanced filtration system with combined patented HiSiv and HEPA filter
- Completely ‘Ozone Free’ Air Purifier.
A CADR of 300 cu.m/hr ensures the purifier can clean a room of size up to 36 Sq.m in just 10 minutes. Aerodynamic fan design that ensures lowest sound level.
High filter life of 3000 hrs for the composite filter and very low power consumption means you incur very low running cost of purifier.
2.2 Voltas Air Purifier VAP26HSO
- 6-Stage Filtration
- 3 Speed Settings (Low, Midium, High)
- Multi-Coloured LED for Air Quality Indicator
- Recommended room area: 320 sq ft.
- 200m³ PM/hr CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate)
- Unique Safety Controls: Sleep mode, Manual Timer Setting, ODOUR Sensor, UV Filteration, Ionizer
With it’s excellent 6-stage filtration process, a precision of 0.01 micron, and a filtration rate of 99%, Voltas air purifier eliminates impurities with ease and let’s you experience pure air in the comfort of your home.
2.3 Daikin MC76 Room Air Purifier
- Removes 99.97% allergens and fine particles up to size 2.5 micro meter
- Live pollution tracking through 3 color LED indicator
- Smart Air Purifier with Auto Mode and advanced ECO Mode
Daikin MC76 is a powerful air purifier to clean your large rooms or offices with coverage area up to 538 sq ft. It comes with highly efficient large electrostatic true HEPA Filter technology.
The air purification is extra silent at 1/2 speed levels and gears up at speed 3 for larger coverage area. This is smart machine and tracks pollution level to adjust air purification speed and also show you current pollution level through bright top mounted LED indicator. Eco mode really saves electricity and also keep filter life longer. With various features, Daikin CM76 is one of best machine for your rooms and offices.
The machine is having 3 fan speeds, on speed 1 and 2 machine is silent and you wont be hearing any sound but on fan speed 3 it works at full capacity, thereby creating some noise
Note: The cost of both the HEPA filter and Odour Filter, will collectively cost Rs 3500/- for replacement which is quite low compared to other brand.
2.4 Philips 2000 Series AC2882/20 56-Watt Air Purifier
- High Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 324 m3/hr.
- Aerodynamic architecture boosts efficient airflow
- Vita shield IPS technology with natural filtration and dedicated pollution, allergen and bacteria/virus auto modes
- 100 percent ozone free
- 4 – color air quality indicator
Philips 2000 Series AC2882/20 56-Watt Air Purifier comes with Vita shield IPS technology with natural filtration and dedicated pollution, allergen and bacteria/virus auto modes.
The 2000 series is engineered with 3 smart presettings that you can choose from: pollution, allergen, and bacteria and virus modes. Activate the relevant automode, and ensure you and your family breathe cleaner air at home, always.
The filter lifetime is accurately calculated based on indoor pollution level, air flow and operation time. The healthy air protect alert lets you know promptly when it is time to replace the filter.
2.5 BPL Limited AP-04 5-Watt Room Air Purifier
- 6 Stage Air purification
- CADR value of 290 m3/h with Auto, Manual & Sleep Operational Modes
- Five timer Functions: 1/2/4/8/12 Hour with auto shutoff feature
- 45 Degree Air Outlet Design with 3 fan speeds and Air Quality sensors representing Air Quality
Air-o-Smart disperses pure negative ion that smartly attach themselves to positively charged pollutants. By trapping every pollutant down, this purifier make no compromises when it comes to the air you breathe.
This BPL air purifier, purifies air around you 4 times in an hour thus giving you clean air round the clock.
3. Best Air purifier in 15,000+ range
3.1 Dyson Pure Cool Air Purifier ( Tower TP04 )
- Automatically senses and reports air quality levels (PM 2.5, PM 10, VOC, NO2 & overall AQI)
- Patented Air MultiplierTM technology
- Adjustable oscillation angles – 45°, 90°, to 350°, to help project purified air around the whole room.
- Low maintenance, easily changeable filters, with built-in notification (on LCD & app)
Dyson Pure cool Air purifier is the only purifier to report air quality levels (PM 2.5, PM 10, VOC, NO2 & overall AQI) separately. Its 360 degrees Glass HEPA Filter & Tris Impregnated Activated Carbon Filter capture 99.95% of harmful ultra-fine pollutants & allergens as small as PM 0.1.
This H-13 Glass HEPA Filter is pleated over 200 times and densely packed with borosilicate microfibers which preventing dirty air from leaking back into the room.
This smart Dyson Pure Cool air purifier connects to the Dyson Link app through wifi and blue-tooth, which allows control and monitor of your purifier from anywhere.
Note:- It require replacing filter after 12 months based on use of 12 hours a day. More frequent use and depending on higher pollution levels may result in it needing to be replaced more often. You will get a notification on the Dyson link app and also on the machine when it has to be replaced.
3.2 Philips AC2887/20 High Efficiency Air purifier
- High CADR value of 333 m3/hr
- AeraSense Technology: Real-time PM 2.5 measurement and display with professional grade sensing technology
- Dedicated pollution, allergen and bacteria/virus auto modes
- 100 percent ozone free purification
- Aerodynamic architecture to boosts efficient airflow.
This 2000 Series purifier is engineered with 3 smart pre-settings that you can choose from: General, Allergen, and Bacteria & Virus modes. Its filter lifetime is accurately calculated based on indoor pollution level, air flow and operation time. Purifier is having healthy air protect alert lets you know promptly when it is time to replace the filter.
Its Vitashield IPS technology with its aerodynamic design and NanoProtect Filter has a boosted clean air delivery rate up to 344 m3/hr. Purifier is very well suitable for coverage area of 441 sq. ft and is suitable for bedroom / living room (large).
3.3 Coway Sleek Pro AP-1009 Air Purifier
- Sleek Air Purifier with Green Anti-flu True HEPA Technology
- Unique Air Filtration Process with Optimized Airflow. Ozone free filtration process.
- High Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) value of 303 cubic m/hr and cover Area of 355 sq. ft
- 3 Stage Filtration process with 4 level one touch air speed control
This Coway sleek air purifier 3 stage Filtration.
Stage1: Pre Filter cleans larger dust and heavy particles
Stage2: Patented Urethane Carbon Filter deodorize the air with 98% Efficiency and removes bad odor
Stage3: Multi Layer HEPA filter effectively traps PM 2.5 particles allowing only clean air to pass through. Making this an efficient air purifier.
This product comes with 5 years warranty on air purifier motor and 1 year on electrical parts, which is highest warranty on air purifier by any maker.
Its Anti-flu True HEPA Filter is having longest lifespan of 8500 Hr, which means your replacement cost of filter will be quite low. With having presence across most of the cities in India, this air purifier promises you excellent after sales service.
3.4 Dyson Pure Cool Me Personal Air Purifier & Fan, BP01
- Precise airflow control at your fingertips. Allow projection of air flow in a specific direction
- 360° Glass HEPA Filter for excellent purification
- Small footprint that allows you to place at any convenience place.
- Suitable for personal spaces & small size rooms with coverage area of upto 250 sq.ft
- Dyson core flow technology
With an activated carbon and glass HEPA filter, this purifier captures gases and 99.95% of harmful ultra-fine particles from the air. Dyson Core Flow technology which is specific to Dyson air purifier, guides high-velocity air jets over a convex surface. They coalesce to project a focused stream of purified air. Giving you unique experience of air purifier.
It comes with built-in reminders that indicate the timings for changing the filter. At night, you can set the sleep timer for between 30 minutes and 8 hours. So you can keep cool and comfortable while you rest.
3.5 TruSens Z-2000 Air Purifier
- Smart Sensing feature for monitoring the air quality and take action.
- 360-degree DuPont filtration process that captures pollutants such as allergens, VOC gases and microscopic particles
- UltraViolet sterilisation to destroys germs and viruses that can build up on the filter
- Dual airflow technology for efficient air flow across corner of rooms
Sensing the air around you, TruSens automatically adjusts to the conditions of your air and is engineered to distribute purified air more effectively. Its SensorPod measures pollutants away from the purifier, then communicates with the purifier to ensure the whole room benefits from purified air.
SensorPod air quality readings which are displayed on the illuminated disc lets you know if the air quality is good, bad or poor. Trusens comes with PureDirect proprietary technology that splits cleaner air into two streams, delivering purified air comfortably and efficiently throughout the room.
TruSens model comes in three variant as per room size.
There are many types of air purifier technologies. HEPA filters remove 99.97% of all airborne particulates like pollen, dust, and animal dander. Combining both a HEPA filter and a carbon filter provides the most effective air cleaning filtration. Our suggestion include such purifier only best suited as per your preference.
If cost is not an issue then you can go for Dyson Pure Cool Me or Dyson Pure Cool Air Purifier TP 04 air purifier which is best in class. In low price range excellent option would be Philips AC1215/20 Air purifier or Mi Air Purifier 3.