[ Updated on ]
Clean air is key to healthy life. If you are a smoker you would be taking utmost care that cigarette smoke don’t affects other people in your home especially children and elders. Majority of side effects are found in non-smoker who get affected because of second hand smoke, that is by inhaling tobacco burning or other’s smoke. Having a best Air purifier in home prevent from such danger.
Cigarette Smoke is said to be containing more than 4000 chemical compounds. Out of these around 250 are toxic and more than 50 are known as cancer-causing agents. These dangerous substances remain in the air for 1 – 4 hours and breathing in these particles for only minutes can harm you. Air purifier which delivers clean healthy air by filtering pollutants and allergen must also be capable to shield you from smoke as well.
- Which filter and CADR rate is best for smoke?
- Best Air purifier for smoke in India
- Frequently asked questions
- Q-1. How often should the filters be replaced? Can the filters be cleaned? Are replacement filters readily available?
- Q-2. For how many hours we can continuously use Air purifier?
- Q-3. Is it suitable for winter season when even small amount of air flow in room makes temperature even more chiller?
- Q-4. What is cost of filters?
- Q-5. Does Air purifier generate heat while running for a long time?
- Q-6. How will I know that Air purifier is even working and is effective in improving air quality in my house?
- Q-7 Which is the best Air purifier for cooking smoke?
Which filter and CADR rate is best for smoke?
What makes Cigarette smoke harmful is its constituting harmful chemicals that affects lungs and can cause eyes or nasal itching and unpleasant odour that makes you feel uneasy. So any air purifier promising protection from smoke must be able to shield you from this.
Most recommended air purifier configuration for protection from smoke is purifier with HEPA filter and Activated carbon filter. The best home air purifiers that utilise HEPA filters and activated carbon technologies are proven to combat the pollution of a smoker’s indoor air effectively.
HEPA filter is the best air filtration technology available and it removes most of the allergen, PM 2.5 pollutants, pollen, animal skin and dander, mold spores, and dust etc with up to 99.9% precision. While on the other side, Activated carbon filter reacts with oxygen to open up millions of pores that are capable of trapping a large amount of gas and odour.
Best Air purifier for smoke in India
Based on our research on various products available in market, you can prioritise following air purifier to get rid of smoke and its negative impact in home air. These Air purifier works well for smoke produced from fire, cooking/kitchen or cigarette.
With professional-grade sensing performance, the Philips Air Purifier Series 1000 automatically monitors and purifies the air. Ideal for bedrooms, with quiet NightSense auto-mode. Quick purification is key for air purifier efficient for cigarette smoke. This air purifier purifies a standard room in just 12 minutes with a CADR of 270 m3/hour.
- Vitashield Intelligent purification automatically senses air quality
- Effective Filtration Size (in microns) >= 0.02 which is 800 times smaller than PM 2.5
- CADR of 270 m3/hour
- 4 Stage Filtration pre filter, activated carbon filter & double layered H13 Grade TRUE HEPA Filter
- Honeycomb structured activated carbon filter provides effective removal of harmful TVOCs and odors
- Touch control panel with 4 fan speed indicators: 1,2,3,-Turbo
Coway AP-1009 is winner of Red-dot design award, Which is an international design competition for product design, communication design and design concepts. Its innovative flow path design allows for a slimmer air purifier design with more efficient and maximum airflow. It usages Pre Filter, Patented Urethane Carbon Filter and Multi Layered Anti-Flu Green HEPA Filter for air purification. Coway Ap-1009 is having excellent coverage area of 355 sq. ft and 303 cubic m/hr of CADR making it one of the best choice as air purifier for relief from cigarette smoke.
- Green Anti-flu HEPA Technology
- Unique Air Filtration Process that includes Pre Filter that cleans larger dust and heavy particles , Patented Urethane Carbon Filter for deodorising the air from cigarette smoke and, Multi Layered Anti-Flu Green HEPA Filter for filtering any pollutant
- One Touch Air Speed Adjustment: Four Speed Steps (1-3, Turbo)
- High CADR of 303 m3/hour
3. Sharp Air Purifier- Best Air purifier for cigarette smoke
Sharp Air purifier works on dual purification mode. This indoor air purifier has inbuilt Plasmacluster technology which is certified by 31 global labs and combination of three Passive filters i.e. Highest Grade H14 HEPA Filter, Voluminous Granular Active Carbon Filter and a Pre-Filter that purifies the air with its unique 20° airflow to cover the entire room. This serve best and quick purified air safe from cigarette smoke.
- Special HAZE function for Indian conditions. HAZE mode is specially made to use when the pollutants level is high. Very useful if you are having road side window or door opening.
- 20° Airflow that helps in cleaning and purifying the air from the roof to the floor.
- Dust & Odour sensor senses the dust and odour level in your room. Based on pollutant level, colour LED indicates the level and glows
- Elegant design, Sharp certified as JAPAN & ASEAN NO. 1 by Euromonitor International Limited
- CADR value of sharp purifier is 240 m3/hour
4. Resideo Air Purifier – Highest CADR rate air purifier for cigarette smoke
Resideo works on 3 stage filtration process
Advanced 3 stage filtration for maximum clean air
- Stage 1 The Pre-filter captures the large breathable particles like dust, hair and pet dander.
- Stage 2 HEPA type filter filters up to 0.3-micron small floating particles such as dust, pollen, smoke and the efficiency can exceed 99.7%.
- Stage 3 Active carbon filter effectively removes odors and other harmful gases such as formaldehyde, VOCs, etc.
Resideo air purifier comes with multiple features to help you breathe clean. Its strong sensors keeps you informed about the air you breathe at home with real time digital display and air quality indicator. Its H12 HEPA filters removes 99.7 percent of air pollutants down to 0.3 micron like dust, allergens, smoke, and the activated carbon filters removes odor and other toxic gases from cigarette smoke.
- The digital Screen displays the exact PM 2.5, PM 10 levels and the CADR at different fan speed
- With high Clean Air Delivery Rate of 500 m3/Hr, it ensures you only breathe more clean air.
- Low maintenance, easily changeable filters with life of 3000 hours. Comes with automatic filter change alert.
- Real time air quality update with strong laser sensors
5. Dyson Pure Cool Link Tower WiFi-Enabled Air Purifier TP03
The Dyson Pure Cool Link air purifier automatically removes 99.95% of allergens and pollutants as small as 0.1 microns. Dyson purifiers powerfully project and circulate purified air throughout the room with Air Multiplier™ technology. The 360 degree, vacuum-sealed Glass HEPA filter removes indoor air pollutants while a second layer of tris-coated activated carbon captures household odors and potentially harmful toxins produced from smoke.
- Lower face velocity with high efficiency HEPA filter that removes 99.95% of smallest pollutant of as small as PM 0.1
- 360° Glass HEPA Filter with Tris-coated Activated Carbon filter
- Air Multiplier Technology for powerful air projection and Oscillation feature to circulate purified air throughout the room.
- Automatically monitors, reacts & purifies. Dyson Link app provides real-time air quality reports and allows you to remotely control your machine from your smartphone.
Frequently asked questions
It’s depend on pollution level but according to Delhi weather it can last 8 to 12 months for a purifier like Philips AC1215/20 Air purifier. Pre filter is washable. Machine will indicate when it need to change the filter.
If the indication is A3 you need to change the HEPA FILTER
if the indication is C7 you need to change the activated carbon filter
If the machine indicate FO that’s mean wash the pre filter and reset the filter press child lock for 3 second machine will start.
Some purifier comes with feature that If the filter is not replaced promptly, the appliance stops functioning to avoid ineffective purification. It will give you indication also.
Q-2. For how many hours we can continuously use Air purifier?
You can use Air purifier whole night without any interruption. Its made for that purpose only. You can easily run 12-13 hrs continuously with out any issue.
Most of the Air purifier have rear side airflow. so you won’t be experiencing air flow directly on your body and won’t be feeling shivering in cold weather. Speed of fan can also be regulated. Only at turbo speed you may feel some chilling effect in room, other wise it is perfectly suitable for use in winter.
Q-4. What is cost of filters?
In India, Carbon filter cost between 1500-2000 INR and HEPA filter between 3000-5000 INR, depending on brand.
Q-5. Does Air purifier generate heat while running for a long time?
Most of the air purifier are silent in operation and they neither produces much noise nor heat. It won’t increase room temperature while in operation for long time.
Depending on model some Air purifier comes with LED display screen that shows what are the composition of air and what is the quality of air. The indicator around the digital screen of most of purifier indicates the air quality levels Green ≥ 75, Blue ≥ 150, Red ≤ 151
Q-7 Which is the best Air purifier for cooking smoke?
While cooking volatile organic compounds (VOCs) releases in addition to smoke and odour which can be actually unhealthy to breathe. Depending on your recipe and ingredient this can be uncomfortable for you or your guest. Therefore, keeping kitchen clean is important not just for health and sanitation, but also for your family and guests.
Any Air purifier choice for kitchen smoke must be a HEPA filter purifier along with carbon filter to get rid of cooking smoke and odour.
You can prefer following air purifier for cooking smoke