Rowing machine for home is an excellent training equipment to keep your muscles toned. Ergo-meter or rowing machine allows you to use 86% of muscles when you do it in correct form. If you are looking to burn calories and improve your physical fitness, having a best class rowing machine for gym workout compliments you in achieving your goal.
” Rowing machine is like the Swiss Army knife of the gym,” says professional rower Michelle Sosa, a Hydrow athlete. “Its multiple purposes include low-impact workouts, high-intensity sprint intervals, low-intensity endurance development, full-body strength training, core training, heart health, and posture control.” Swiss Army knife is right—the rower seemingly does it all.
What to keep in mind while buying best rowing machine in India ?
There are different types of rowing machines available in India market but how to find out which one is most suitable for your need?
While looking for a best rowing machine for gym, you can prioritise following things
- Resistance type: It is important to understand which type of rowing machine resistance is suitable for your workout and home usages.
- Size & Portability: While buying such a heavy workout equipment, it is important keep in mind these two parameters.
- Maximum user weight: Not all rowing machine supports heavy weight person so look for the maximum user weight of machine.
- Display & Features: Better to go for rowing machine having LCD display unit to keep track of your vitals.
Based on above mentioned key parameters we have shortlisted following rowing machine suitable for your usages.
- Best rowing machine in India
- Benefits of rowing machine
- How to use a Rowing machine?
- Rowing machine target muscles
- Rowing machine vs Treadmill
- Types of Rowing machine
- Frequently asked questions
#1 Stunner Fitness SRX-550 Magnetic Rowing Machine
Stunner Rowing Machine serves as your ideal training companion at your home. It comes with 10 level adjustable resistance tension knob for effective workout and a top Fly wheel of 7 Kgs. Engine of this rowing machine is very powerful, low-maintenance and low-noise engine. One of the best rowing machine in India.
While rowing it is crucial to have information like rowing count, calories, and total rowing count. LCD display this stunner rowing machine allows you to monitor these parameter on real time basis so that you can meet your fitness goals efficiently.
SRX-550 is easy to use and fold-able with just one hand after training. Its integrated transport wheels allows you to lift it and roll it to any place.
Why to buy this Rowing machine?
- 7Kg Magnetic Flywheel and 10 level of varying resistance, make your workout most effective.
- Fordable and Portable and occupies small portion of your house
- Best features at very convenience price tag for home usage
Why to avoid this Rowing machine?
- Stunner rowing machine is an excellent choice, If you are looking for commercial setup and public usages then you can avoid this rower. As for public usage its maximum user weight limit of 110 Kg may serve as constraint.
#2 Kamachi rowing machine
Exercise each major muscle group in your body one by one with the Kamachi rowing machine with full motion weapons. This rowing machine is for optimal strength, comfort and efficiency and helps you reach your fitness goals!
Kamachi rowing machine with full motion arms allows 360 degree movement, with 12 levels of adjustable resistance. This rowing machine for your home gym, comes with fully thick-padded seat, non-slip grip handlebars and large anti-slip pedals with adjustable foot straps for optimal comfort.
The integrated LCD screen shows time, amount, and calories for optimal security. Heavy duty steel frame for stability and durability. Large, non-skid pedal with adjustable leg straps.
Why to buy this Rowing machine?
- Kamachi gives you comfort while you work on your muscle. Its thick, fully padded seat make your session effective. It is also most favoured rowing machine for ladies who are looking for workout.
- Kamachi rowing machine allows complete 360 degree movement and its free movable arms enables you gaining actual rowing of a boat impact on your muscles.
Why to avoid this Rowing machine?
- Its maximum user capacity which is 100 Kg, if this does meet your requirement you can go for this excellent rowing machine.
#3 AFTON CRW 800 Rowing Machine Air and Magnetic resistance
The Afton CRW 800 rowing machine is the best indoor rowing machine in India that you can experience. Very long rails offer space for larger users and offer very smooth gliding. Strong high-performance frame can bear a maximum user weight of 150 kg, which is highest in range. These features make AFTON one of the best rowing machine for heavy person.
Programmable consoles offer exceptional functionality, from a basic profile that has been set to a program with a controlled heart rate and even programmable intervals where users can adjust the distance or time for work and rest periods.
One of the distinguish feature that this rowing machine offer is quick adjustment of resistance between 16 levels without removing hands from the handlebar. Which is quite useful.
Why to buy this Rowing machine?
- Excellent built quality with highest resistance level
- 5.5″ blue back lit LCD display for monitoring vitals
- Resistance adjustment on-the-fly with just thumb touch
Why to avoid this Rowing machine?
- Rower is comparatively costly for home usage. Its range make it suitable for corporate fitness/recreation centre or some institution because the ease of use and resulting unparalleled full-body workout.
- If cost is not an issue then CRW 800 is internationally renowned rowing machine.
#4 Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine
Concept2 Model D rower is heavy built rowing machine that comes in two sections which can be tighten together with help of bolts comes along.
With this rowing machine you can use free Concept2 Ergdata app which runs on smartphones to track your workout progress and upload data to our online logbook.
Concept2 comes with spiral damper for keeping you in-charge of resistance applied. You can easily adjust the airflow to the flywheel as per your need. Being an Air resistance rowing machine, Concept2 comes with flywheel design that generate minimal noise.
Model D features most advanced Performance Monitor, the PM5 for providing repeatable, comparable data for every ride. You can set up a variety of workouts. PM5 captures data like pace, watts, stroke rate (spm) and Calories and store in either its internal memory or an external USB.
Benefits of rowing machine
Josh Crosby is a third-generation rower and former world champion says “The biggest myth about rowing is that it is an upper body workout. Rowing works nine major muscle groups: quads, hamstrings, glutes, lats, core, shoulders, triceps, back and biceps. In addition rowing is an amazing cardio workout.”
Following are the key benefits of rowing machine workout
- Improve the condition of the lower body:- Because you use so many leg muscles in this exercise (contrary to what most work seems to do while rowing), lower body strength and endurance – is one of the most important things in performance.
- Higher body muscle engagement compared to treadmill or elliptical:- Fed up with your cardio routine over treadmill or elliptical? Rowing machine engages much muscle of your body to give you a uniform shape.
- Less risk with higher benefits: With proper posture, this rowing machine is a natural work out for your body compared to sprinting or plyometrics which are really tough on your body and involve greater risk.
- Tone a large set of muscle at a time: Rowing in its first to fourth position engages your Erector Spinae Muscles, Hamstrings, Gastrocnemius and Soleus to Triceps, Wrist Extensors and Flexor. Apart from your lower body built up, impact of rowing machine will be visible on the forearms, triceps, and shoulders toning.
- Mental strengthening along with physical: While impact on your upper and lower body portion is obviously relatable, with the use of rowing machine for gym purpose, you will notice its impact on your mental wellness. With this as your mind needs to focus on the posture and the correct muscle movement, muscle and nerve work in much coordinated way.
How to use a Rowing machine?
In rowing, there are four positions you need to know about the stroke: the catch, drive, finish, and recovery.
The catch begins with grasping the handle evenly with both hands. Slip forwards your seat so that your knees can get tucked into chest and align directly in line with the heel region of the foot. Stretch out your arm and lean your body forward from the hips.
When you sit on the rowing machine, you want to bring your buttocks as close as possible to the edge of the chair, as close as possible to the grip strap and bend your knees. This forces you to sit high and extend your backbone. It also helps you build your core.
When you tighten your legs with a stretcher, you want the rope to be in the widest part of your foot. This allows you to put pressure on your feet and press hard on your toes while driving. The drive takes place when you quickly move the handlebar to your chest and stretch the back and core muscles. For that push and create momentum by rolling your hips. Initial portion on the drive demands a maximum power from legs.
Once done, slowly move your arms back to the catch position, but make sure to keep your legs and knees straight until the handlebars pass over your knees.
As you relax, your body follows the handlebars and the chair slides forward until your knees bend again as you grasp.
Are you ready to order? We have collected list of the best rowing machines at home.
Rowing machine target muscles
Rowing machine targets following muscles in different positions. During first position “The Catch”, your rowing machine target on Triceps, Hamstrings, Erector Spine, Abdominal section and other parts.
In next position “The Drive” you go through three different stages that involves leg emphasis in which all muscle of your shoulder contract and stabilising muscle work on your lower body parts. Thereafter in next stage of body swing your legs and hips engage in extension by contraction of glutenous and hamstring muscles. In last stage of drive, you do arm pull through in which upper body muscles contract with high force to finish drive.
During Finish position, your knees and ankles remain as the hips completes full extension.You engage quadriceps, biceps, trapeziums muscles to maximum.
Rowing machine vs Treadmill
Treadmill works on lower section of your body while Rowing machine work on muscle from both lower and upper section of your body.
Rowing is best for full body workout while Treadmill is better for burning maximum calories in stipulated time of workout. So for fat loss treadmill is better choice and for muscle building rowing machine is better choice.
Rowing machine is better for low impact workout as it binds your body specially feet and hand to designated place and all that is done is muscle movement. Treadmill is for high impact workout as it involves much more dyamism.
Types of Rowing machine
Rowing machines are designed of various types depending on their resistant qualities. Following are rowing machine resistance types:
- Water resistant rowing machine
- Air resistant rowing machines
- Hydraulic resistant rowing machines
- Air and magnetic resistant rowing machine
1.Water resistant rowing machine
Water resistant rower comes with the water tank and flywheel. Water resistant rower simulates real water rowing as when you paddle faster in water, the increased drag provides more resistance and when you paddle slower, the resistance is less intense.
Using the same principles that applies to boat in water, Water Rower comes with a “water flywheel” that consists of two paddles in an enclosed tank of water to provide smooth, quiet resistance, just like the paddles in an actual body of water.
Before getting any type of rowing machine, it is a good idea to get expert advice on the type that will be suitable for your need.
2. Air resistant rowing machine
Air rowing machine comes with intuitive wind resistance that means if you need to apply more resistance, pull faster and slow down for less. Air rowing machine comes at less cost and are much easier to maintain than water rowing machines additionally these are durable than water rowing machine and cheaper than magnetic rowing machine.
Air resistant rowing machine comes with resistance systems which are fan-like flywheels and are quite noisy and you will feel noise from the fan with every stroke.
3. Magnetic resistant rowing machine
Magnetic rowing machines operates with friction-free resistance and hence run almost silently making it ideal for home usages. Magnetic rowers have electromagnets that control their flywheels. Resistance of magnetic rowing machine comes from 5 to 20 different levels.
In Air and Water rowing machine, resistance depend on user effort while in magnetic rowing machine, resistance have preset level which can be very conveniently changed with just a button.
4. Hydraulic Rowing Machines
Hydraulic rowing machine also called as piston rowers, are the cheapest indoor rowing machine available. It is recommended for someone who is beginner with rowing and looking for occasional workout at home. These are quiet, portable rowing machines.
Hydraulic rolling machine works on movement of force. They comes with one or two pistons (cylinders filled with hydraulic fluid or air) that work when the rider work on rowing machine.
Frequently asked questions
According to Harvard Health Publications, rowing at a moderate pace for 30 minutes burns about 210 calories for an individual weight around 60 Kg and 311 calories for a 80-85 Kg individual. For vigorous rowing, those numbers are 255 and 377.
There are four important technique. One rowing cycle comprises of these four technique, the catch, drive, finish, and recovery. These are four position which summarise rowing. Maintain the proper posture first and release at recovery stage.
What are best rowing machine for workout at home?
At home if you are buying rowing machine, in addition to machine built design and feature, you need to keep in mind portability and space it occupies. Following rowing machine are best choice for workout at home. Rowing machine by Stunner Fitness ,
Yes, rowing machine is very useful in reducing belly fat. Rowing involves four different stages the catch, drive, finish, and recovery. Every stage work on your muscle. Drive phase and Finish work on stretching your belly while initial catch phase work on contracting. Repeated cycle serves and calories burn quite useful in curbing belly fat.
What is the best type of indoor rowing machine?
Out of all types of rowing machine available you can go for Magnetic or Hydraulic rowing machine. These are relatively silent and convenient to use.
Which is better Hydraulic or Magnetic rowing machine?
Magnetic rowing machine is better than Hydraulic rowing machine in term of operation, durability, maintenance effort and effectiveness. Hydraulic rowing machine may serve a better option for beginner and for some one looking for low budget rowing machine.
Which is the best rowing machine for heavy person?
AFTON CRW800 rowing machine which has strong high-performance frame and it can bear a maximum user weight of 150 kg. AFTON is strong built machine and with thick padding this rowing machine is best suitable for heavy person.